Monday, January 7, 2008

Prayer

I Thessalonians 5: 14-22 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn those who are unruly, comfort the fainthearted, uphold the weak, be patient with all. See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good both for yourselves and for all. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies. Test all things; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil.

I have been struck by this passage today. It has been on my mind since I woke up. I usually leave the house before my kids wake-up. I go to work to sip my coffee, read, research, review, plan, have meetings, and prospect. It is a busy day, but I deal with adults all day.

On the other hand, my wife wakes up to one child which can only communicate via smiles or crying (she is 6 months old), and another that loves to communicate in several ways at about 90 miles an hour (he is almost 2).

How often do I shrowd my wife in prayer? My kids? My job? My thoughtlife?

How often do I pray for my friends? My brothers? My parents?

How often do I pray for the salvation of my friends and family who aren't saved?

How much room for improvement do I have in the area of prayer? Tons...

My friends, may it be our aim to both worship and glorify God, who has blessed us with so much, by comforting the fainthearted, upholding the weak, warning the unruly, pursueing righteousness, rejoicing always, and giving thanks in everything.

We will never be perfect, but it is my prayer that this blog will encourage and exhort the reader towards Christ through a thoughtful and deliberate prayer life.

No comments: