Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Existence of God

My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. ... Of course, I could have given up my idea of justice by saying that it was nothing but a private idea of my own. But if I did that, then my argument against God collapsed too--for the argument depended on saying that the world was really unjust, not simply that it did not happen to please my private fancies. Thus in the very act of trying to prove that God did not exist--in other words, that the whole of reality was senseless--I found I was forced to assume that one part of reality--namely my idea of justice--was full of sense. Consequently atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning.
C.S. Lewis Mere Christianity

Below are 8 questions asked by an atheist during what was considered "The Great Debate" in 2002. 92% of analysts left supporting the idea that God exists, less than 8% remained as professing atheists.

1. If God is all good, why is there evil in the world?
2. If God is all powerful, why are humans all messed up and imperfect?
3. Why did God forbid Adam and Eve to learn by banning them from the tree of knowledge?
4. Where is God? I don't see him, hear him, touch him, taste him, or smell him.
5. By what empirical means can you show me God?
6. Why does God have to resort to heaven and hell? Couldn't he have just made us perfect?
7. Why is God jealous?
8. Why are there so many conflicting religions?

After looking at these questions, my initial response was, "Man this guy is proud!" "All he is concerned with is himself." Then, scripture reminded me of why it is he thinks this way. The mind of those who do not know God is hostile to God! Romans 8:7 says, "For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God."

How proud are we to look in the face of our Creator and say, "Show yourself God, then I will believe in you!" Atheists look at the existence of God and say that they will only believe after they have empirical evidence. We can't offer the empirical evidence they are after, we can only show them the result or effect of his existence through His creation. What we can show them is a broken and contrite spirit, a humble heart, with a passion to see transformation because we ourselves have been transformed by the grace and mercy of our Lord!

My prayer is that those of us who know God will seek to share the hope and glory of our God with those that are lost. May we always be reminded of the fact that they are not inclined towards God, that we may face persecution when we share with them, but may we also realize that we are not ashamed of the Gospel, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes!

I am thankful that God has broken through my hostile mind, shown me his existence through the strength he provides, the faith he has given me, the spirit that dwells within me, and the wisdom and revelation of His Word. Without these things, I would be wandering aimlessly about with no hope.

Only by His Grace<><,

No comments: