Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Humilty: by CJ Mahaney

I read Humility for the first time a few years ago; and have practically re-read the entire thing going back to it for Bible studies or personal reflection. Currently I am reading it with my Bible study group and it is as rich as ever. If you have never read this book before you are missing out on a treasure chest of encouragement in your walk with Christ. Here is one thing that struck me today while I was reading chapter 4, "Greatness Demonstrated".

"Donald English expresses the point this way: "At the source of all Christian service in the world is the crucified and risen Lord who died to liberate us into such service." That's why all Christian service not only reflects the Savior's example, but should also remind us of His sacrifice. Ultimately our Christian service exists only to draw attention to this source - to our crucified and risen Lord who gave Himself as a ransom for us all. Let's move in for a closer look at this incomparable sacrifice..." (pg 48)

There is so much to meditate upon from this brief excerpt... what are the implications of this from a practical standpoint? inwardly? outwardly? Why do I serve? to be seen? to be recognized? for "thankyou's"? How does my service consistantly point to Christ's work on the cross? If it doesn't, why not?

Most importantly: Do I recognize that everything a servant of Christ does should point back to Christ's work on the cross? And, how do I shape my life around this principal?

I must confess that I fall way short in this area. I don't really do things to be seen generally, but I rarely consider how my actions might and/or should point others to Christ's work on the cross. As a Christian who desires to bring glory to our Lord and Savior, I want to strive to be deliberate in bringing Christ glory in everything I do.

No comments: